February 4, 2020
This policy describes what personal information we collect and how we use it.
Acceptance of Terms
The Information We Collect
Jake’s Journey collects information when you visit our website, create an account, edit your account information, or use features to donate. Some of this information is technical information automatically logged by our servers. Outlined below are the types of information, both directly from you and indirectly through the collection of information by third-party service providers (together, “Partners”) that we specifically collect.
You authorize us to use, store and otherwise process any personal information which relates to and identifies you, including (but not limited to) your name and address, to the extent reasonably necessary to provide the services which are available through our website, our Partners, successors, assignees, associates, sub-contractors, or other third parties.
1. Personal Information (“Personal Information”)
Examples of different purposes for which we may collect Personal Information include, but are not limited to:
- The registration process for Registered Users;
- Use of areas of the Jake’s Journey website, in which you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, username and password, falling under the registration process for Registered Users (“Registration Process”);
- Job applications;
- Periodically, Jake’s Journey may invite you to participate in completing online surveys. If you have created a Jake’s Journey account, information we collect from these surveys may be associated with you personally;
- Contact you regarding your donation(s), as to the quality of the service, as well as any potential errors that may have occurred;
- Voluntary submissions to Jake’s Journey requesting information about our products and services, signing up to receive information from us, or sending us an e-mail;
- E-mail subscriptions. Jake’s Journey may also compile a subscription list to which you voluntarily submit your name, mailing address, and/or email address. The purpose of such a subscription list would be to send you periodic updates to subscribers on matters of interest, provided you will have the ability to opt out of further communications in accordance with procedures described in each such update.
- Non-Personal/Other Information
In addition to the Personal Information, we and our Partners may collect additional information that does not personally identify you (“Other Information”). Other Information may include information collected:
a. From Your Activity. Information that we or our Partners may automatically collect when you visit, access, and/or use the Platform, including, but not limited to your IP address, Internet service provider, browser type and language, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time, amount of time spent on particular pages, which sections of the Jake’s Journey or Partner website you visit, number of links you click while on the Platform, search terms, operating system, general geographic location, and technical information about your mobile device.
c. Do Not Track (“DNT”). Jake’s Journey assumes no responsibility for responding to “Do Not Track” web browser signals. Consult external website polices regarding their responses to DNT signals.
Google Analytics collects information anonymously. It reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page.
b) Interest Based Advertising. Jake’s Journey incorporates remarketing by utilizing third party vendors (such as Google) to display content specific advertisements to visitors who have previously visited the Jake’s Journey site and/or expressed interest in the Jake’s Journey products when such visitors go to other websites that also incorporate similar remarketing tools. Jake’s Journey and other third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies and third-party cookies together to inform, optimize and serve ads based on a User’s past visits to the Jake’s Journey site.
If you choose, you can opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser.
The Information Collected by or Through Third-Party Advertising Companies
Search Engines and Other Sites
Search engines and other sites not affiliated with Jake’s Journey, such as archive.org or google.com, may crawl the Site and make available to the public publicly-available content and postings from the site. The Site may also contain links to other websites. Jake’s Journey is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites. Jake’s Journey encourages its visitors and users to be aware of such search engines and other sites when they leave the Site and to read the privacy statement of each website they visit.
How We Use and Share the Information
We use Personal Information and Other Information to provide you Services, process your donations, solicit your feedback, inform you about our products and services, personalize communications and fundraising appeals that we believe will be of interest to you, and to improve our Services to you.
We may also use and/or share Personal Information, Other Information, and User Content as described below:
- All of your User Content on the Platform will be publicly viewable and shareable by other users both within and outside the Platform.
- We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include providing technical assistance and customer service. These other companies will have access to Personal Information and Other Information only as necessary to perform their functions and to the extent permitted by law.
- In an ongoing effort to better understand visitors to our site and our products and services, we may analyze Other Information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve our products and services. This aggregate information does not identify individuals personally. We may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents, and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our products and services to current and prospective business partners and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
- As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, the Personal Information and Other Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose the Personal Information and the Other Information: (i) when required by law, court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; or (ii) whenever we believe that disclosing such information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of Jake’s Journey or others.
Accessing and Modifying Information and Communication Preferences
Upon request, Jake’s Journey will grant individuals reasonable access to Personal Information that we and our agents hold about them. For example, visitors to the Platform who have provided Personal Information to us may review and/or make changes to the same by contacting Jake’s Journey. In addition, individuals may manage their receipt of marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of any Jake’s Journey marketing e-mail or by following the instructions found on the Platform. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to process such requests in a timely manner. You should be aware, however, that it is not always possible to completely remove or modify information in our subscription databases.
How We Protect the Information
We take commercially reasonable steps to protect Personal Information and Other Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the information that you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet. In particular, e-mail sent to or from the Platform may not be secure, and you should, therefore, take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
To help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. Our website uses a Transport Layer Security, the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private. All online donation transactions are handled by Payment Card Industry (PCI)-compliant vendors. PCI refers to the technical and operational standards that businesses must follow to ensure that credit card data provided by cardholders is protected.
Important Notices to Non-U.S. Residents
Links to External Websites
It is Jake’s Journey’s policy not to disclose any personal information we collect to third parties for direct marketing purposes under any circumstances. However, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 requires that all California residents be afforded the option to exercise your choice of whether your personal information may be shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes or not, as well as to receive information specified in the statute if your personal information is disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Accordingly, if you are a California resident and you wish to inform Jake’s Journey whether you permit or refuse the sharing of your personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes, or if you wish to request certain information if your personal information were to be disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes, please contact us as described in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
How to Contact Us
- postal mail to: Privacy Administrator, Jake’s Journey Foundation, 1464 Madera Rd. #N343 Simi Valley, CA 93065
Our intent is to promptly reply to every message we receive. This information is used to respond directly to your questions or comments. We also may file your comments to improve our services in the future.